Reviews, Views and Adventures in Content Creation

Friday, July 2, 2010

Leadership and Social Media: Your Thoughts?

Vlogger Kenrg recently sent me this excellent quote about leadership.

"To lead people walk beside them ... As for the best leaders, the people do not notice their existence. The next best, the people honor and praise. The next, the people fear; and the next, the people hate... When the best leader's work is done the people say, 'We did it ourselves!'" - Lao Tsu


I have a particular interest in leadership and leadership development. I find the challenge of being a good and effective leader to be one of the more fascinating aspects of human interaction.  My work as a filmmaker demands leadership; I've also been in the position of encouraging leadership; and finally, I've been involved in team situations under both poor and excellent leaders.


I will soon be introducing an important new section of this blogsite that will explore the existing and potential of leadership as it relates to social media.   Here and on my vlog,  I'll relate some of my own experiences, and how I've learned the hard way about the challenge of leadership.  More critically, how do we define leadership in the world of social media?  Who are the leaders and trendsetters in this world - or is the overall world of social media, by its very nature, leaderless?


I would like to explore how individuals are using social media as a tool as a leadership tool:  How do you use social media in establishing your credentials as a leader in your field - or, how do use social media to lead a team toward a focused goal?


I look forward to your responses and experience, everywhere from school (where we all first observed poor and great leadership in our teachers) to the workplace.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out (or, when it's in print, is it a type out?).

    One of the aspects of leadership I've been most interested in are the personal and un-teachable qualities of it.

    I think of the continuum from basic "management" to true leadership. Unfortunately, many people believe they're synonyms, when they are anything but. I can teach management skills, but leadership is something you either have or not.

    Many good managers are lousy leaders, and surprisingly many great leaders are crap at management. Figuring out which is more dangerous is what fascinates me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent observation. Personally, I can think of several instances in which I've observed just that disconnect - and in all instances, it leads to major issues in both morale and the resulting ability of the entity to succeed in its mission.

    ReplyDelete