Reviews, Views and Adventures in Content Creation

Monday, December 2, 2013

Finding Creative Energy

When I was in fourth grade and about ten years old, I wrote a short, Star Trek-inspired play called "The Crash" ("It was the year 1999 and ship 666 was on it's way to Saturn."). With the encouragement of my teacher, Mrs. Hahn, my friends and I performed it for our class. We then went "on tour" to many of the lower grades.  We had simple props (paper masks for the aliens, and command badges for the crew members, and toy ray guns) and adjusted our simple staging for each classroom.

"The Crash" was my first experience in leadership and creating for an audience. Though I didn't understand it at the time, it was also an early lesson in the power of Creative Energy - setting an idea in motion and watching it take on a life of its own.  What once was just a concept in my head became an adventure shared by my friends.

In the following few years, I'd create other projects. Some would become super-8 films, and others short screenplays.  In Elementary and Junior High School, I would conceive television series ideas, and my friends would join in with episode outlines, set designs and character backgrounds.  We rarely put any of these concepts on film, but it didn’t really matter  - it was all about the the adventure of thinking and creating together. 

Creative expression - and interacting with other creative kids - proved to me that
Creative Energy - and interacting with other creative kids - was a motivating factor throughout my childhood.

If you reach only a few people - then through those people, you reach the world.

For a child, what concept could be more powerful?

1 comment: