Reviews, Views and Adventures in Content Creation

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Looking Ahead - A Few Initial Thoughts

Okay, so the holidays are over and the real work begins!

It seems that change is in the air, both in my own life, and the lives of many of my friends.  Numerous people are changing their work situations, re-calibrating their lives, and generally moving ahead again.  As devastating at the economic downturn has been, either people are tired of living in fear, or, just perhaps, things are starting to improve a bit.  I suppose that time will tell.  Regardless, I expect this to be an interesting year.

Currently, of course, one of my current activities is launching my documentary, "Bollywood Steps" into the world.  Available since December 15th, I haven't yet begun to promote the film, and its availability for purchase.  It's a great challenge - and I'm looking forward to seeing how far I can carry this.

My producing work (my freelance work) has started to pick up again, and other opportunities are beginning to develop.  I'm also looking forward to seeking out part-time university-level teaching opportunities in filmmaking/documentary filmmaking/editing.  I love teaching, but I really haven't had the opportunity in the last couple of years.

Finally, I made the commitment to attend VidCon again, the July gathering of online video/YouTube content creators at the Century Plaza Hotel in Beverly Hills.  I'm fascinated with the spirit of creativity online, and the success of so many of these young (and some old) filmmakers (they certainly don't see themselves in that light), that are creating a new form of expression.  At the same time, I'm not a big fan of the spectacle of  stardom - or really any celebrity culture - but I'd also say that most of the people that I've had the opportunity to meet are pretty well grounded.  I suppose it's a very clear reminder that YouTube stardom is limited when the same person who's mobbed inside the Century Plaza is all but ignored across the street at the Century Plaza mall...I look forward to sharing my observations as I continue my social media expedition!

No comments:

Post a Comment