Reviews, Views and Adventures in Content Creation

Thursday, April 13, 2017

Tapping Back

A few weeks ago, I wrote here about my experience using the Tap app on my iPhone, in which stories are told entirely in the form of text messages. As you may recall, I tried it out, wrote a couple of stories, and then decided that the pricing structure wasn't to my liking, and decided to move on the sister app, Wattpad, a long established creative writing destination. I actually like the app itself, but doubted it viability as a successful venture.

Yesterday, Tap was brought to my attention when I received an email from the Tap offices, asking to feature one of my stories on their front page. I agreed. It hasn't happened yet, but it drove me back to the app to check on the fate of my stories.

Played, the story Tap wants to feature, doesn't have too many views - it hasn't grown much in several weeks. The other story, The Prank, which is based on characters in my book, My Life at the Bottom of the Food Chain, is trending upward, with over 145,000 "taps" and rising. I'm not certain precisely how that translates into individual readers, but the number is growing daily and my "friends" list is expanding rapidly (it had been entirely empty at last glance).

I'm still not convinced about the pricing scheme, but I have to admit that the growth in my Tap account is fascinating. I'm curious what will happen when/if my story is featured, and I've decided to create an additional story or two and see what happens. I still wish I could share the stories more freely, as I do on Wattpad. but for the time being I'll give it a go and see what happens.

I also have a suspicion that The Prank may have cross promoted my Alexander books (and sold a few copies). If it gains more readers, will I see a spike in book sales? Very interesting...

At the very least, I don't want to disappoint my new friends!



2 comments:

  1. Interesting... Does 145,000 "taps" mean 145,000 reads of the full story (as one might hope), or literally 145,000 taps, in which case you need to divide that by the number of text messages in the story to discover your number of readers.

    Although, that might not be accurate still, as some part of that 145,000 is people who tapped till they hit the paywall, then gave up (including me).

    So, interesting data ... and by giving you a large number, exciting data ... but not entirely relevant to figuring out what it really means.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My theory is that it's taps, which would make views of unique readers a few hundred...but still a curious climb. The other story was finally featured today, and is also beginning to climb in taps...

      Delete